Sunday, December 1, 2013

Comedian gets the last laugh over FCUK logo row

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/comedian-gets-the-last-laugh-over-fcuk-logo-row-8975113.html

However, instead of caving in, Mr Griffiths fought back, turning the tables on the company when he discovered that it was itself breaching the copyright of some of the biggest brands in the world. French Connection produced T-shirts using Ford's and Mars's logos, replacing the wording with FCUK; another KFC-inspired design read "Finger lookin' good – FCUK". In total, Mr Griffiths found 25 companies which had had their logos used by French Connection. "At first I felt it was unfair that they thought they could threaten me in the way they did. But then, when I saw them using other people's designs, I thought it was a complete hypocrisy."

The 44-year-old started calling round the different companies to tell them he believed the fashion company was infringing the copyright of companies including Pepsi, KFC, Durex, IBM. "I thought it was only right to kindly inform each company what French Connection was doing. Sometimes it would take days for me to convince them to take it seriously, but once the first company complained to French Connection, and that led to a full withdrawal and apology, I couldn't help myself." Several months and hundreds of phone calls later, the project turned into an obsession, with Mr Griffiths roping in his mother to take delivery of the French Connection catalogue after the company refused to send it to him.