Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Google's future: microphones in the ceiling & microchips in your head

Google's ideas for a world of search without typing are taking outlandish shape

The future of the $300 billion business depends upon automatically predicting the search needs of users and then presenting them with the data they need.

“Imagine I can say to a microphone in the ceiling of the room ‘Can you bring up a video of the highlights of yesterday’s Pittsburgh Steelers game and play it on a TV in the living room?’ and it works because the Cloud means everything is connected,” he says.

“I could ask my Google ‘assistant’ where we should have lunch, that serves French food and isn’t too expensive? Google will go ‘Ok, we’ll go to that place’ and when I get in my car it should already be navigating to that restaurant. We’re really excited by the idea of multiple devices being able to talk to each other.”